17 August 2013

Captive Heart, By Tali Spencer

A vengeful emperor conquered her country…now he’s after her heart.

Julissa has only known life as a sheltered princess in Sebboy's opulent but restrictive society, ruled over by strict parents and the righteous Prophets of her god. She is all but destined to a marriage of alliance until her brother kidnaps a foreign princess as his bride, and Julissa's country becomes the target of the girl’s vengeful brother. Gaspar Leonnte may have a big nose and be the subject of ridicule at Julissa's family table, but he doesn't have any trouble conquering Sebboy.

While fleeing the city, Julissa falls into Gaspar's hands and everything she ever knew changes. When a misunderstanding brings Julissa to his bed, the victorious emperor sees no reason not to enjoy his pretty captive for the night. Julissa should refuse him and honor her duty to her family and Prophet, but how can she fight the passion Gaspar awakens… even if doing so might mean her life? 
 

Before I got on my recent reading kick, I absolutely loved the historical romances. This book is one that I would have read back then for sure! It has everything that a reader could want; murder, sex, romance, drama, kidnapping. It has enough of everything that it kept me turning the pages and wanting to read more.


One thing that I completely enjoyed about Julissa's character is that she wasn't some “itty bitty” woman. She had size to her, and she was okay with that. She also showed an amazing amount of strength during the course of the story. Willing to put herself in harms way to save the people she cares about, she ends up finding something that she didn't realize she was looking for.


Gaspar was willing to risk war to save his sister who had been kidnapped. He shows how much he cares about his sisters well-being and that of his country when he invades Julissa's families lands. I really enjoyed watching the torture that he was going through during ending of the book. It showed that there was more to him than just a hardened King.


This book was very fast-paced which worked out really well with the story. Sometimes I don't enjoy the fast-paced stories, but this one, I did. The story kept the me turning the pages and wanting to find out what was going to happen next. If there is more to come from this author, I will be sure to keep my eye's open!


I would recommend this book to all of my friends who enjoy reading historical stories!



B&N 

0 comments:

Post a Comment